Construction is the largest industry in the world and anything constructed needs to be designed first. Structural Engineering deals with the analysis and design aspects, the basic purpose of which is to ensure a safe, functional and economical structure. While designing, the designer constantly inte
Construction is the largest industry in the world and anything constructed needs to be designed first. Structural Engineering deals with the analysis and design aspects, the basic purpose of which is to ensure a safe, functional and economical structure. While designing, the designer constantly interacts with specialists like architects, operational managers, etc.
Once the design is finalized, the implementation takes involvement of people to handle aspects like statutory approvals, planning, quality assurance, material procurement, etc. The entire exercise can be undertaken in a highly coordinated way if everyone involved understands the 'project language', which is a combination of designs and specifications.
To understand the language fully, it is necessary to appreciate the principles of structural analysis and design and a course on this topic comes in handy here.
Participants of this workshop will gain a basic knowledge of structural engineering that includes principles of analysis of structures and their application, behavior of materials under loading, selection of construction materials and design fundamentals for RCC and steel structures.
The emphasis has been kept on the determination of nature and quantum of stress Developed under loads and the way structures offer resistance to it. Being the most widely used construction materials, RCC and steel has been covered in detail though masonry and timber have also been described briefly.
• Fully understand the role of the structural engineer
• Comprehend the behavior of structural members under loading
• Understand the concept of stress functions like tension, Compression, shear and bending
• Use the basic concepts for analysis of statically determinate and indeterminate structures
• Analyze deformation of members under loading
• Understand the significance of material properties in design
• Undertake basic design of Reinforced Cement Concrete Structures